Size: cuff: modified small-to-large (see mods below), hand: small with gusset mods (again, see below)
Yarn: Butterfly 10 cotton, color 3884 (almost a denim blue), about 2/3 of the skein
Needles: 3 mm dpns for body, 2.5mm dpns for cuff (the smaller needles were necessary to get gauge)
Notions: 6 buttons from my large button box
Dates: March 13 – 29 2009
Modifications: (copied from my Ravelry page) I had to slightly extend the cuff because the small length didn’t fit around my wrist. I also had to redo the first mitten 3 times (only from row 25 of the hand onwards) because the thumb hole was too tight for me.
My final mods are as follows:
- worked the cuff as written for small until the chart was worked twice. Then followed the directions for large until the bind off. Then did an extra 10 rows even in established pattern. Bind off.
- worked the hand as written until the gusset was completed. Instead of binding off on the next round (round 26) I worked 4 more rows as per the chart (building the gusset up higher) then did the bind off round, placing the BO on round 30 (and giving me a thumbhole that was higher before the BO and subsequent CO, so it wouldn’t be a tight and dig in to the fleshy part of my thumb like the original pattern’s version).
- worked the BO round as written, but modified the following round as follows: Next round: work in pattern to bound-off sts, pick up and knit 1 st in first bound-off st, CO 8 sts over gap, k 1 st in last bound-off st, continue in pattern to end. This gave me a much looser thumb hole which I find more comfortable.
To get rid of some of those extra sts before the end of the mitten, I placed a marker in the center of the 8 cast-on stitches over the thumb hole. On the last 2 chart rounds I worked as established until 3 sts before the marker, ssk, k2, k2tog, cont as established around. I also worked the decreases in the first round of ribbing.
- my final modification was to work the bind off round as tight as possible insted of loosely. Cotton stretches, and I had more sts than in the actual pattern. By working a tight BO I ended up with a mitten that fits perfectly!
As usual you can find my finished (and unfinished!) projects in my “projects” page by clicking the tab up at the top of every page on my blog, and I also have this project in my Ravelry notebook here.
p.s. thanks for taking these photos Maaike!